The Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) Athletics Hall of Fame, which was established in November 2018, will recognize, celebrate and memorialize the contributions of student-athletes, administrators, coaches and supporters, and preserve the history of the intercollegiate athletics program. The Hall of Fame will engender school spirit and pride, and inspire the university community through the celebration of excellence. As part of the Tartan Athletics Club, the Athletics Hall of Fame will enhance alumni relations, increase the visibility of athletics throughout the CMU community and support additional initiatives of the CMU Athletics Department.
Inductees will be selected by a committee comprised of Carnegie Mellon University staff, faculty, a board of trustee member, coaches and a student representative. The Athletics Hall of Fame will endeavor to induct not less than 15 individuals for induction in its first year and not less than 6 in any year thereafter, subject to the discretion of the Nominating Committee. The below will set forth the criteria for selection to the Athletics Hall of Fame.
Inaugural Class Announced
Seventeen individuals and one historic team make up the inaugural Carnegie Mellon University Athletics Hall of Fame class.
The list of 18 honorees from 12 sports is anchored by a longtime athletics director, several All-Americans and the 1926 football team, which shutout previously undefeated Notre Dame.
The hall of famers, who were chosen from more than 100 nominations, will be inducted on campus Friday, October 25.
“It has been exhilarating to go through our history and review the accomplishments of the giants who have made the Carnegie Mellon Athletics program what it is today,” said Director of Athletics Josh Centor. “Our history is rich, and we are excited to have the opportunity to celebrate it in this fashion.”
Below is the inaugural Hall of Fame class.
- Earl Birdy (Administrator: Intramurals)
- Rebecca Fruehan Berty (Women’s Swimming, Class of 1996)
- Howard Harpster (Football, Class of 1928)
- Adam Hibshman (Men’s Soccer, Class of 2003)
- Rich Lackner (Athlete: Football, Class of 1979 / Coach: Football)
- Aaron Lewis (Football, Class of 2007)
- Lisa Lightner Georgiana (Women’s Basketball, Class of 1989)
- Carolyn Lowe-Thompson (Women’s Track and Field / Cross Country, Class of 1992)
- Andy Merson (Friend of the program / Men’s Swimming, Class of 1962)
- Ken Murawski (Football, Class of 1982)
- Buddy Overend (Administrator: Longtime Athletics Director, Class of 1909)
- Lauren Schmidt Bninski (Volleyball, Class of 2004)
- Mike Short (Men’s Track and Field / Cross Country, Class of 1985)
- Bill Soffa (Men’s Basketball, Class of 1961)
- Amy Staloch Salimian (Women’s Tennis, Class of 2008)
- Lloyd Yoder (Football, Class of 1927)
- Brian Zimmerman (Men’s Swimming, Class of 1992)
- 1926 Football Team