Tartans Force OT, Run Away with Victory in Season Opener

Tartans Force OT, Run Away with Victory in Season Opener

(WAYNESBURG, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's basketball team got off to a slow start at Waynesburg University on Friday, November 9 in the season opener for both teams, but rallied to force overtime and proceeded to run away with the victory, topping the Yellow Jackets, 67-54, after extra time.

The Tartans outscored the Yellow Jackets 13-0 in overtime behind six points from junior Makayla Filiere (Chandler, Ariz. / Hamilton) and five from senior Jenn Mayberger (Chesterfield, Mo. / Cor Jesu Academy). Filiere finished with a game-high 18 points and five steals. Following Filiere in points for the Tartans was junior Katie Higgins (Montclair, N.J. / Montclair) with 15 points. A pair of freshman each scored in double digits with Caitlyn Clendenin (Bethesda, Md. / Bethesda Chevy Chase) registering a double-double in her first collegiate game with 12 points and 15 rebounds. Emily Archer (Chatham, N.J. / Oak Knoll) scored 11 points, making 4-of-6 from the field and all three of her free throw attempts.

Foul shooting was an important part of the game, as the Tartans hit 87.5 percent (14-16) to just 25.0 percent (3-12) for the Yellow Jackets. The Tartans also were big on the boards outrebounding the Yellow Jackets by 18.

Three-point shooting was the story early when Waynesburg hit five in the first quarter to build a 23-11 lead. At the half, with Waynesburg leading 35-27, the Yellow Jackets had made more three-pointers (7) than the Tartans attempted (4).

That hot-from-distance shooting cooled off for the Yellow Jackets in the second half, as they made just two more in 16 attempts, and the Tartans started to climb back in the game with buckets in the paint and free throws.

The Tartans took their first lead of the game since the opening minutes when Higgins converted two free throws with 6:33 showing on the fourth-quarter clock. Waynesburg later took back the lead before a jumper by Archer with 44 seconds remaining tied the score at 54-all, where it would remain thanks to two blocks by the Tartans in the final 22 seconds.

Carnegie Mellon will next travel to Washington and Jefferson College on Tuesday, November 13 for a 7:00 p.m. contest.