#6 Tartans Suffer Tough 2-1 Loss at Christopher Newport

#6 Tartans Suffer Tough 2-1 Loss at Christopher Newport

(NEWPORT NEWS, Va.) – The sixth-ranked Carnegie Mellon University women's soccer team traveled south to Christopher Newport University for the Captains Classic on Friday, September 9 and suffered a tough 2-1 loss at the hands of the home team. The Tartans are now 1-2 on the year while the Captains move to 3-0.

The Tartans got on the board first when senior forward Megan Bartoshuk (Redwood City, Calif./Sequoia) finished a one-on-one in the 23rd minute. Bartoshuk collected the ball behind the defense after senior Amelia Clark (Frederick, Md./Saint John's Catholic Prep) sent a free kick from just inside midfield into the box. The defense thought they drew the Tartans offside leaving Bartoshuk alone against the keeper, as she buried the shot hard and to the center of the goal.

Just prior to Bartoshuk's goal, the Captains' keeper had to make a diving save off a 30-yard shot by junior Tori Iatarola (West Dundee, Ill./Loyola Academy). It was her second save of the match, while Tartan goalkeeper Mia Keyser (Anchorage, Alaska/West Anchorage) also made two saves in the first 22 minutes.

In the 30th minute it looked as if the Tartans might strike again but two big-time saves by Carly Maglio at point-blank range kept the score at 1-0.

The Captains scored the equalizer in the 61st minute when Keiley McCarthy found the open net following a saved shot off a corner kick. The first shot was taken by Gabby Gillis and it was saved off the line by a Tartan defender but landed back at her feet where she slipped a pass to McCarthy across the goal mouth for the equalizing shot.

In the 73rd minute, Keyser came off her line to make a save on a potential breakaway for Christopher Newport. Unfortunately, the save bounced slightly to the side where Victoria Perry was able to reach out for it while on the ground and score into the open net.

A free kick late in the game for the Tartans was cleared out by a Captain defender and the home squad held on for the 2-1 victory.

The Tartans return to the field on Saturday, September 10 in their second game of the tournament when they face Virginia Wesleyan at 5:00 p.m.