One Goal Eliminates No. 18 Tartans from NCAA Postseason

One Goal Eliminates No. 18 Tartans from NCAA Postseason

(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The 18th-ranked Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team hosted 16th-ranked Calvin College in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship on Saturday, November 12. One goal was the difference as Calvin earned a 1-0 victory to advance in the tournament while the Tartans finish the year with a 13-4-2 record.

The Tartans had the first shot of the day when freshman Nicolas Poveda (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables) pushed a shot wide in the second minute. Calvin then watched as two shots went just wide of the goal at the other end of the field.

In the 24th minute, a shot by Calvin's Bobby McCaw was blocked by a Tartan defender. It was the first of four shots that were denied by the Tartan defense for the game.

Sophomore Zack Masciopinto (Arlington Heights, Ill./Buffalo Grove) looked to give the Tartans the lead in the 27th minute but a quick shot after a pass over the top was cut off by Nate Van Ryn of Calvin. Masciopinto put another shot on frame in the 36th minute but it was again denied by Van Ryn. A minute later, senior Devin Keane (Melville, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills East) fired a shot from the right wing that Van Ryn stretched high to stop as he then smothered the rebound.

McCaw had a shot blocked by the Tartan defense in the early minutes of the second half before back-to-back corner kicks by Calvin were cleared away in the 49th and 50th minutes.

In the 54th minute, McCaw would not be denied as his header got past sophomore Alec Lam (Upper Saddle River, N.J./Northern Highlands Regional) for his 14th goal of the season. The play started with a corner kick by Jacob Witte that sailed past the far post but was headed back to the 6-yard box by Jay Noyola. That header was then headed forward by Trent Vegter where Noyola jumped and headed the ball across the 6-yard box to the opposite post where McCaw could leap and sneak a headed shot between the post and Lam's hands.

The Tartans' nearly equalized in the 61st minute when junior Jimmy Jameson's (Fairfax, Va./Oakton)shot was saved by Van Ryn with the rebound hitting the crossbar. Another opportunity for the Tartans came in the 74th minute when Masciopinto got his head on a pass but Van Ryn was there to make another stop.

The last shot of the game came off the foot of Keane in the 81st minute but was just wide of the post.

Lam cleared the ball many times during the game but did not record a save, while Van Ryn finished the 90-minute match with five saves.

The Tartans advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the fourth time since 2012 and sixth time in program history.