(CHICAGO, Ill.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's tennis team, ranked fifth in the nation, moved on in the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship tournament with a 5-0 victory against the University of St. Thomas (Minnesota) on Saturday, May 9 in Chicago, Illinois. The Tartans are now 16-6 on the year.
The Tartans swept doubles action with the No. 3 team of sophomore Nicholle Torres (Weston, Fla./Great Neck South) and junior Brooke Tsu (Hillsborough, Calif./Burlingame) winning first, 8-4. The No. 1 pair of senior Bryn Raschke (Del Mar, Calif./Torrey Pines) and freshman Cori Sidell (Redwood Shores, Calif./Carlmont) won 8-6 before sophomore Vanessa Pavia (Thornwood, N.Y./Academy of our Lady of Good Counsel) and freshman Stacy Chang (North Wales, Pa./North Penn) won 8-5 to complete the sweep.
Needing to win just two singles matches, the Tartans were able to finish off the Tommies at No. 3 and No. 2 singles for the win. Torres was the first to finish with a 6-1, 6-1 score at No. 3 singles while senior Angela Pratt (Saratoga, Calif./St. Francis) won 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2 singles to end the match.
The Tartans advance to the regional final and will play 15th-ranked University of Chicago on Sunday, May 10 at 12:00 p.m. CT.
1. Vanessa Pavia (CMUW) vs. Shelby Henderson (UST-WOM) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
2. Angela Pratt (CMUW) def. Bridget Noack (UST-WOM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Nicholle Torres (CMUW) def. Caitlin Bakke (UST-WOM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brooke Tsu (CMUW) vs. Kara Lefsrud (UST-WOM) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
5. Cori Sidell (CMUW) vs. Jenna Zimmerman (UST-WOM) 7-6 (7-5), unfinished
6. Bryn Raschke (CMUW) vs. Paige Becher (UST-WOM) 7-5, 1-3, unfinished
1. Bryn Raschke/Cori Sidell (CMUW) def. Bridget Noack/Kara Lefsrud (UST-WOM) 8-6
2. Vanessa Pavia/Stacy Chang (CMUW) def. Shelby Henderson/Jenna Czarnecki (UST-WOM) 8-5
3. Nicholle Torres/Brooke Tsu (CMUW) def. Caitlin Bakke/Jenna Zimmerman (UST-WOM) 8-4