Freshman Joshua Pinckney, an International Relations and Politics and Spanish major, is from Atlanta, Georgia. He's enjoying his first year on campus and answered a few questions about his time as a Tartan thus far.
1. What have you enjoyed about campus life?
I've just loved building relationships with many of the incredible people here at CMU; from kids in my dorm to other student-athletes, professors, students in Greek life etc.
2. What have you been able to get involved in outside of tennis?
I've been starting to get into forms of advocacy on campus through organizations like Emerging Leaders in which my group is doing a capstone project on Income Inequality. I've also been working on an Ed-Tech startup idea with some friends of mine. I will also be an RA next year!
3. Why did you select your course of study? What class have you enjoyed?
I chose to study International Relations and Politics because I want to understand the complexities of foreign governments and cultures and how they intersect when I serve the United States in some diplomatic capacity as I hope to do. I really enjoyed taking 36-200 Reasoning w/ Data with Professor Nugent last semester!
4. What are your summer plans?
I plan to work on some campaigns for politicians back home in Georgia as an intern as well as working at a summer camp at Georgia Tech. I hope to make it up to Boston to visit family too.
5. What class has been recommended by your teammates or friends as a MUST TAKE class at CMU?
Decision Processes in American Political Institutions (DPAPI). I took it last semester and it was awesome!
6. What have you enjoyed about living in Pittsburgh?
Nothing beats driving out of Fort Pitt tunnel and seeing the city! I've had a great time exploring different neighborhoods, going to sporting events and trying out food at the many restaurants the city offers.
Read below for some more intersting facts about Joshua!
1. Favorite CMU tennis moment to this point in your career OR one thing you are looking forward to the most about this season?
I'm looking forward to competing alongside my teammates and working to have a successful season.
2. Why did you come to CMU?
I came to CMU because it was the complete package: A great looking campus in an incredible city with a diverse student body and a competitive tennis program in a challenging conference.
3. What is something you hope to do after you graduate? (job, travel, new hobby, etc)
I want to travel around the world and experience unfamiliar cultures
4. If you could meet any historical figure, who would it be and why?
I would want to meet Nelson Mandela because his life, experiences and values have had an immeasurable impact on this world.
5. Favorite professional sports team?
The Boston Celtics
6. Favorite musician and favorite song?
The 1975 is my favorite music group. My favorite song is Pretty by Hypercolor and Che Ecru.
7. Favorite food?
East Asian food…potstickers, ramen, stir-fry, Korean BBQ, sushi, fried rice etc.
8. Best place you have ever visited? Where else would you like to visit?
Mar del Plata, Argentina. I really want to visit Spain and Portugal.
9. Game day ritual?
Eat a good breakfast, hydrate and warm up with some great pump-up music
10. Most influential person in your life?
11. Favorite place to relax on campus?
12. Favorite place to eat off campus?
13. Philanthropic activity you partake in?
Teaching tennis to at-risk youth through Volleys Against Violence Organization
14. Favorite television show?
15. Favorite off-season strength exercise?
16. Who is the coolest coach you've ever had and why?
Kenyon Oliver because he makes going to a tennis tournament like a family vacation