(ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.) - The #16 Carnegie Mellon University men's tennis team matched up against #13 Case Western Reserve University on Sunday morning in the third-place match of the University Athletic Association Championship, falling 6-3 to the Spartans after two three-set matches in singles play were needed to determine the winner. The Tartans close out the regular season with a 13-7 mark as the Spartans finish with a 21-6 mark.
The Tartans got a point in doubles play from sophomore Bryce Beisswanger (Los Angeles, Calif./Viewpoint School) and freshman Yuvraj Kumar (New Delhi, India/Millfield School) when they defeated Alex Solove and Richard Brunsting 8-6.
Senior Duke Miller (Poway, Calif./Poway) tied the match at 2-2 with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles over Kyle Gerber as senior Jooho Yu (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) later pulled the Tartans within one point at 4-3 with a 6-2, 7-6 win at No. 6 singles over Harrison Smith.
The match point came down to No. 1 and No. 2 singles which were both in the middle of a third set. Case's No. 1 player, Christopher Krimbill, was able to break sophomore Christian Heaney-Secord (Westwood, Mass./Westwood) who won the first set 6-3 to come back with 6-4 and 6-0 scores to secure the match for the Spartans. Freshman Abhishek Alla (Hyderabad, India/IMG Pendleton School) forced a third set at No. 2 singles but fell in a tiebreaker and had a final score of 2-6, 7-6, 6-7.
1. Christopher Krimbill (CASEM) def. Christian Heaney-Secord (CMUM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Will Drougas (CASEM) def. Abhishek Alla (CMUM) 6-2, 6-7, 7-6
3. Duke Miller (CMUM) def. Kyle Gerber (CASEM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Eric Klawitter (CASEM) def. Yuvraj Kumar (CMUM) 6-4, 6-2
5. John Healey (CASEM) def. Kosuke Hasegawa (CMUM) 6-1, 7-5
6. Jooho Yu (CMUM) def. Harrison Smith (CASEM) 6-2, 7-6
1. John Healey/Nicolas Howe (CASEM) def. Duke Miller/C. Heaney-Secord (CMUM) 8-4
2. Kyle Gerber/Christopher Krimbill (CASEM) def. Thomas Cooper/Jooho Yu (CMUM) 8-6
3. Bryce Beisswanger/Yuvraj Kumar (CMUM) def. Alex Solove/Richard Brunsting (CASEM) 8-6