(ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.) - The #16 Carnegie Mellon University men's tennis team led after doubles play but the 3rd-ranked Emory University Eagles were able to mount a comeback in singles to win the semifinal match of the University Athletic Association Championship 5-4 on Saturday afternoon. The Tartans are now 13-6 on the year.
Senior Jooho Yu (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) and sophomore Thomas Cooper (Albuquerque, N.M./Albuquerque Academy) tied the match at 1-1 with an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles before sophomore Bryce Beisswanger (Los Angeles, Calif./Viewpoint School) and freshman Yuvraj Kumar (New Delhi, India/Millfield School) battled three match points and won five straight to come-from-behind to win 9-7 at No. 3 doubles.
Holding a 2-1 lead, the Tartans fell in singles matches at No. 4 and No. 3 to relinquish the lead before freshman Abhishek Alla (Hyderabad, India/IMG Pendleton School) won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles to tie the score at 3-3. Shortly after Alla's win, the Eagles regained the lead with a win at No. 5 singles and secured the win with a victory at No. 6 singles.
Sophomore Christain Heaney-Secord (Westwood, Mass./Westwood) gave the Tartans their final point with a comeback three-set win at No. 1 singles, 3-6, 6-3, 11-9.
The Tartans will now play for third place against Case Western Reserve University who has a 20-6 overall record and a national ranking of 13. The match is set for Sunday at 9:00 a.m.
1. Elliot Kahler/Ian Wagner (EU) def. Duke Miller/Christian Heaney-Secord (CMU), 8-3
2. Thomas Cooper/Jooho Yu (CMU) def. Ayush Bajoria/Jackson Isaacs (EU), 8-5
3. Bryce Beisswanger/Yuvraj Kumar (CMU) def. Eric Halpern/Will Adams (EU), 9-7
1. Christian Heaney-Secord (CMU) def. Eric Halpern (EU), 3-6, 6-3, 11-9
2. Abhishek Alla (CMU) def. Alex Ruderman (EU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Ian Wagner (EU) def. Duke Miller (CMU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Rafe Mosetick (EU) def. Yuvraj Kumar (CMU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Elliot Kahler (EU) def. Kosuke Hasewaga (CMU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Will Adams (EU) def. Harsha Rao (CMU), 6-2, 6-1